From 1943 to 1975 Northern Cape High School was part of the Northern Cape
Technical College. On 31 December a piece of education history came to an end when the Technical High School and Commercial High School became separate schools after 7½ years.
From 1976 to 1986 NCH was known as Commercial High School, but due to changes in the subject choices, the name was changed to Northern Cape High School in1987. Today the Technical High School and Northern Cape High School are exceptional schools – an asset to Kimberley and the province.
Mr M.K. Brits was the first principal of Commercial High School. Mr D.J. Pretorius followed from 1986 to 1995. Mr A.J. Snyman (1996 to 2003) followed. Mr A. du Plessis was the acting principal from August 2003 to 2004. Mr H.J. Brand took over as principal in January 2005 until April 2016. Mrs J. Venter is the current principal. The number of learners has grown steadily from 403 in 1987 to the current 1000.
At present Northern Cape High School is a leading school in our province with regular excellent achievements in academics, sport and culture.